Car: 52718   By: wannabemustangjockey   Comment: "But cottage cheese makes such a nice squishy splat..."
Car: 96548   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "Village of the Damned Edition, apparently...."
Car: 73521   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "When this car finally dies, it's coming back from ..."
Car: 52718   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "It's like a 1:87 scale replica of the Battle of St..."
Car: 51993   By: DiRF   Comment: "Well, congrats to Martin Truex Jr. on his Nascar C..."

Submitted by: Obsidian
Submitted on: 10-26-2003
View Stats Category: Vehicle Misc
W8 engine configuration

(really messy looking)

Comments

1 2 ]

10-26-2003 @ 09:45:30 PM
Posted By : Bmarc Reply | Edit | Del
geeez thats one long twisting belt :|

10-26-2003 @ 09:54:36 PM
This is probably the only way to change the alternator without breaking a few fingers.... when it's out of the car.... God I hate the modern school of Cram-it-in engine design

10-26-2003 @ 10:02:50 PM
Posted By : Lemming Reply | Edit | Del
#2, Even though it's probably not as bad as this, another good example of this kind of stuff is my mother's Z3. Everything under the hood is really close together and you can't directly get at the pulleys on the front of the engine. Huge plastic covers over the engine, too, which is a shame because those I6s sort of look neat.

Contrast this with my (badly) undersized engine in a (badly) oversized engine bay--I can pretty much stand between the pulleys on the front of the engine and the electric radiator fan.

10-26-2003 @ 10:05:02 PM
Posted By : SacrifRICE Reply | Edit | Del
I hate those lousy plastic covers! Let us see those beautiful engines! Anyway, this belt looks REALLY tricky. Probably the toughest belt I ever replaced was on a V6 Grand Caravan, there was about an inch between the belt and the body structure, getting it around each pulley was awful.

10-26-2003 @ 10:08:47 PM
Posted By : solid_snake Reply | Edit | Del
I hope I never have to use the regal to jump something ever again, damn battery is buried

10-26-2003 @ 10:09:36 PM
Posted By : solid_snake Reply | Edit | Del
#5, to contrast if I was so inclined I could lick the battery posts in my truck

10-26-2003 @ 10:12:12 PM
Posted By : Lemming Reply | Edit | Del
#6, Which might be somewhat bad for your health. :-p

10-26-2003 @ 10:15:19 PM
Posted By : Obsidian Reply | Edit | Del
BAH to you all! today i physically removed the spark plug wire from a running lawn mower.

Took a little work and about 20 shocks from the wire to remind my self that it was indeed running lawn mower - but i got it.

10-26-2003 @ 10:15:45 PM
Posted By : solid_snake Reply | Edit | Del
I would imagine so

10-26-2003 @ 10:35:07 PM
Posted By : stang392 Reply | Edit | Del
#6, buicks suck for that. both my moms have been that way

10-27-2003 @ 12:58:20 PM
Posted By : LordFlux Reply | Edit | Del
#2, "God I hate the modern school of Cram-it-in engine design"

Yup, me too. 25648
When it's easier to pull a spark plug from underneath the car than above it, then something just isn't right. :P

10-27-2003 @ 01:46:20 PM
Posted By : MxCx Reply | Edit | Del
#10, you have two moms? :P

10-27-2003 @ 02:08:22 PM
Posted By : mr_mcmunkee Reply | Edit | Del
stang must be a test-tube baby.

10-27-2003 @ 04:05:18 PM
Posted By : kstagger Reply | Edit | Del
humya... the belt snapped on my monte carlo - the waterpump/alternator v-belt. Still managed to drive 6 miles home on battery power. Let's cut this W8 belt and see what happens!

10-27-2003 @ 04:15:35 PM
Posted By : Lemming Reply | Edit | Del
One of the few good things that I can say about my engine is its accessibility. All the spark plugs can be accessed from the top side, there's plenty of space all around the engine, etc. Heck, the only thing that really gets in the way is some of the EGR stuff on the front of the intake.

10-27-2003 @ 04:21:35 PM
Well everyone, I have a car with a 4 cylinder in a space big enough for a V8... I don't need to say anything else.

10-27-2003 @ 04:22:48 PM
Posted By : kstagger Reply | Edit | Del
#16, better handling! [/ambientflier]

10-27-2003 @ 04:25:53 PM
#17, HAHA....actually, my car DOES handle quite nicely.

Grippy Pirelli tires, brand new rack and pinion steering/power steering pump, RWD, and 2600lbs would tend to do that.

10-27-2003 @ 04:29:10 PM
Posted By : Lemming Reply | Edit | Del
I don't think I'll ever quite get used to the way Mustangs and their relatives handle. Steering on the Thunderbird was much more sluggish, but it felt so much more stable in curves.

10-27-2003 @ 04:35:53 PM