Car: 52718   By: wannabemustangjockey   Comment: "But cottage cheese makes such a nice squishy splat..."
Car: 96548   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "Village of the Damned Edition, apparently...."
Car: 73521   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "When this car finally dies, it's coming back from ..."
Car: 52718   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "It's like a 1:87 scale replica of the Battle of St..."
Car: 51993   By: DiRF   Comment: "Well, congrats to Martin Truex Jr. on his Nascar C..."

Submitted on: 07-24-2006
View Stats Category: Off-topic
Aita Beita. My grandmother's house in Southern France... the backyard has a wonderful view of the Pyrenees mountains, and a TGV line is visible too.

I haven't been there since 1990. :(

"Aita Beita", the name of the house, is Basque for "Father's House", IIRC.

Comments

7-24-2006 @ 09:39:40 PM
Posted By : thirtyseven Reply | Edit | Del
That's a fine way to live. Beautiful house.

7-24-2006 @ 09:55:01 PM
Posted By : Adambomb Reply | Edit | Del
The name of the house sounds almost like the name of a Portuguese resturant that was across from my brother's old apartment.

[Edited by Adambomb on 7-24-2006 @ 09:57:01 PM]

7-24-2006 @ 09:56:48 PM
Posted By : Adambomb Reply | Edit | Del
#2, According to Babelfish, the name of the resturant, which was Beira Alta translates to "Side Can"

7-24-2006 @ 09:56:55 PM
Posted By : Altima35se2003 Reply | Edit | Del
#2, portugee! :p

7-24-2006 @ 10:18:03 PM
This house has 3 kitchens, IIRC... it could basically be used as an apartment building... but my grandfather made sure that my grandmother would never be in need of money after his death... he opted for the largest pension program the US military had to offer, one that would support his wife, even after his death... he also invested his money very well. So, my grandmother won't be renting out parts of the house anytime soon :)

I am very proud of my grandfather... he served in WWII, Korea, AND Vietnam. He retired as a Colonel... in WWII, since he spoke fluent German with hardly any accent, he was part of the team that went in to get some of the German V2 scientists before the Russians could get them :D

Also, he had college degrees from Georgia Tech, MIT, and Harvard Business School... he was one helluva guy. He was head of the World Trade Center in Atlanta for a while...

Sadly, my grandfather died in 2000. :(

7-24-2006 @ 10:52:44 PM
Posted By : thirtyseven Reply | Edit | Del
#5, Wow, very impressive.

7-24-2006 @ 10:55:44 PM
Oh, and my grandfather being who he was and some things he experienced... I've only been SERIOUSLY offended by what someone said once in my life... that was because of a high school Social Studies teacher that I had that glorified the student takeovers of college administration buildings and the destruction of college ROTC buildings during Vietnam war protests... my grandfather barely escaped with his life when the ROTC building at Harvard was set ablaze...

I still despise that Social Studies teacher.

7-25-2006 @ 09:30:48 AM