Car: 96662   By: Skid   Comment: "Beat to shit, and a V6 model to boot. But I actual..."
Car: 42045   By: DiRF   Comment: "https://i.imgur.com/PwnMf7O.gifv..."
Car: 42045   By: Obsidian   Comment: "Come now - that's just tragic. I would hope the bi..."
Car: 42045   By: Skid   Comment: "Counterpoint: http://imcdb.org/vehicle_113306-Plym..."
Car: 42045   By: wannabemustangjockey   Comment: "I dunno, the Freetown Pacer and Tennessee State Tr..."

Submitted on: 06-25-2007
View Stats Category: Vehicle Group
On top: The first production McDonnell Douglas DC-9 in 1965.
On bottom: The final production Boeing 717 in 2006.

6-26-2007 @ 05:54:54 AM
Posted By : Edaw 0 Reply | Edit | Del
gotta be a top entry for aviation's 'If ain't broke, don't fix it' files.

6-26-2007 @ 05:17:09 PM
Posted By : Sensekhmet Reply | Edit | Del
...the hell?

6-26-2007 @ 05:27:55 PM
Douglas developed the DC-9, then got bought up by McDonnell... but kept the DC-9 name.
Years later, McDonnell Douglas reclassified the plane as the MD-80... and then as the MD-90.
...then McDonnell Douglas was bought up by Boeing, who then reclassified the plane as the 717.

So basically the same plane remained in constant production under different various names for 41 years.

6-26-2007 @ 05:31:37 PM
Posted By : Sensekhmet Reply | Edit | Del
#3, Holy crap.

6-26-2007 @ 05:33:42 PM
Posted By : Adambomb Reply | Edit | Del

3-18-2012 @ 04:55:33 AM
#1, The B-52 has got to top that list, with them, it's entirely possible that a pilot will fly the exact same plane into combat that his FATHER did. And I don't mean "same" design, I mean the same freakin' AIRFRAME.

I remember as a kid in the early 90's I'd fly out from Pittsburgh to Detroit to visit my Aunt in the summers, it was always on a Northwest MD-80. The short hop from Pittsburgh to my local airport was always via a Short 330 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_330) easily the ugliest and clunkiest airliner I ever rode in. Fortunately, by the last year I made the trip, USAir had inherited the commuter route and replaced the Shorts with much quieter and faster Bombardier Dash 8's

3-18-2012 @ 12:44:28 PM
#6, Actually, I wouldn't consider the B-52 in the same league as the DC9/717... the B-52 was only built for 10 years.

Now, in terms of a plane being used for a long period of time, the B-52's only serious competition is the Tu-95...

...and, really, I could easily see an airman flying a B-52 that his great-grandfather piloted... they're gonna keep the things in service until at least 2050.

*after Wikipedia-ing* Holy crap, the C-130 Hercules is STILL in production?!

1-02-2016 @ 07:38:13 PM
Now, the Lockheed C-130 Hercules... THAT is in the same league as this... even moreso... it's still in production, and has been for 62 years.

Server time: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 07:27:13 PM