Go to car


Latest Comments
Car: 87847   By: DiRF   Comment: "My brain is currently ping-ponging between two son..."
Car: 87847   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "Er, round I mean, ROUND...."
Car: 87847   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "Is the steering wheel square? If yes - Japanese if..."
Car: 87847   By: Obsidian   Comment: "Considering how Datsun made it - it looks more lik..."
Car: 48539   By: wannabemustangjockey   Comment: "That moment when you go into the drive thru the wr..."
See last 25 comments
 Go to

Next picture
Ricecop Home
Linkage
Plates
Bling Bling
Photo
Free Post

 Top 10

Top 10 Ricers
Top 10 Non-Ricers
Top 10 Other Good
Top 10 Other Bad

 New & Retired

Newest Images
Retired Images

 Other

Submit a picture
Profile Lookup
FAQ
Site Log
Leader Board
Site Stats

 Online Now

0 Ricecops
1 Guests

Detailed List

 Login

Username:

Password:


Remember Login?

Sign up!
Why sign up?
Forgot my password


View this image at full size
Click here to let us know if the image above is broken.


Go back and vote on this image.

Picture Information
URL: http://riceornot.ricecop.com/?auto=93570
Submitted by: Low-Tech Redneck
Comments: 2  (Read/Post)     Favorites: 0  (View)
Submitted on: 08-20-2015
View Stats Category: Other Vehicle
Description:
Bellefonte Central #5323, an EMD SW9 Switcher (and the only locomotive they ever bought new from the factory) makes one of the last runs to State College, passing through Fillmore, PA in 1973.

By 74' the line to State College (17 miles) would be abandoned for lack of traffic and by 84' the rails had been ripped out for scrap. The bottom picture is the same area today, only the grade remains.


   Comments

Showing page: 1 of 1
[
1 ]

#1
8-20-2015 @ 10:15:43 PM
Posted By : Low-Tech Redneck Reply | Edit | Del
The BFC had been a fairly prosperous short line throughout the 1950's and 60's, but a softening economy and competition from trucks had them in fairly dire straits by the 1970's (and railroads as a whole were suffering nationwide for the same reason, at the time this picture was taken, the Penn Central, BFC's interchange partner, had itself just imploded in the BIGGEST bankruptcy filing in US history at the time)

After abandoning the SC branch, they'd continue to eke out a living by servicing the lime plant in Bellefonte until 1983 when they went out of business and were absorbed into the nascent Nittany & Bald Eagle Railroad that still runs the surviving BFC track (and more) today.


#2
8-20-2015 @ 10:21:40 PM
Posted By : Low-Tech Redneck Reply | Edit | Del
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7293/..._2997f8a9a0.jpg Current NBE network is about 20% BFC and the other 80% is ex-Penn Central track that was abandoned when they went out of business and successor railroad Conrail opted not to reactivate it.

Showing page: 1 of 1
[
1 ]


Login to leave a comment

Classifieds 
Click here to post your own classified ad






Want to send some feedback? Click here.

Server time: Monday, December 18, 2017 01:38:05 PM

All pictures on this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright 2000 - 2017 Ricecop. All rights reserved.