Car: 96799   By: Skid   Comment: "Funny that this would come up now, since they're h..."
Car: 96799   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "Every part of this makes me want to murder someone..."
Car: 48985   By: Skid   Comment: "Oh hell. XD I remember when Speed was the token A..."
Car: 48985   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "... ... ... That's some sitcom level self-parody. ..."
Car: 96664   By: DiRF   Comment: "...too early for flapjacks?..."

Submitted by: Low-Tech Redneck
Submitted on: 08-12-2019
View Stats Category: Vehicle Misc
P71 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - this is a place to dump info about what's up with the 01' P71CVPI I just got.

Comments

8-12-2019 @ 04:32:58 PM
So... it's an 01' ex-Muhlenburg Township Police Car, 221,000 miles and surprisingly little rust and no real dents or damage to speak of, at least that makes it look to ratty to not still fool a few folks.

8-12-2019 @ 04:39:26 PM
Issues to address:

-Rear tires have plenty of tread, but are cupping, will fail inspection this Nov unless replaced.
-Parking brake inop, cable likely snapped/rusted off, there's NO resistance to pushing the pedal.
-Bad O2 sensor, throwing constant CEL.

Minor issues:

-Paint starting to flake badly around trunk lid and rear window pillar, probably from the constant stress of the rear axle flexing under torque load. Previous owner just shot it with wrong-color spray paint, needs feathered and redone right.
-White paint overspray on significant parts of windows, tail light lenses and mudflaps/rocker trim where paint was hurriedly thrown on to stop a chip from rusting.
-LF fender has minor rust hole at top of fender arch from old dent that turned cancerous from road salt.
-Small chunk out of RF bumper that also pulled it slightly out of alignment, didn't go all the way through to the backside so I can fill it.

8-12-2019 @ 05:13:43 PM
Neat.

I've considered buying a P71 before, though with the hard use they get, I might be better off going for a nice commercial market Vic or Marquis. There doesn't seem to be much price difference.

8-12-2019 @ 05:29:17 PM
#3, I was expecting beaten-up-one-side-and-down-the-other, but, it handles and drives better than my Buick... I was looking for a winter car to take the hit for salt and possible wrecks and spare the Century since it is starting to get rust, but now, I'm thinking the FWD car that's already rusty would be better.......

Plus they only took the radio and lightbar off, so I got a lot of free cool police goodies in the deal, they left the window spotlight, radio antennas, cage and hidden emergency lights (but cut all the wires off) and the indestructible commercial/fleet vinyl flooring. That may be the best part, it was liberating taking a mop and garden hose to clean the interior, and it will never pick up the smell of old upholstery impregnated with mud and dirt and old food that never quite dries out enough to not stink or permanently discolor.

8-19-2019 @ 01:44:45 PM
Posted By : Driven_out Reply | Edit | Del
Pre rack and pinion car, shame

8-19-2019 @ 10:05:28 PM
#5, If that's a downside, I haven't noticed, handles fine for as big as it is.

8-31-2019 @ 06:52:18 PM
Okay, emergency shop appointment Tuesday, it developed an exhaust/manifold leak last week, and it just got worse in severity by several magnitudes and now the tictictictictic sound is loud enough to hear over the radio, and I'll have the fix the busted eBrake while under there.....

9-04-2019 @ 08:11:00 PM
#7, Exhaust gaskets shot, on both sides. CEL was not from an 02 sensor after all, but it was a "Bad Catalytic Converter" code, probably erroneously triggered by those leaky manifolds, because if it was bad/clogged, I'd know it, it wouldn't want to run at all. And the E-Brake wasn't the cable, just that both the shoes are worn down completely, I think someone drove it with the brake engaged and just ground them up....

9-20-2019 @ 05:25:35 PM
#8, I am so glad I gave this one to the garage, because I would've quit in frustration. 3 of the manifold studs snapped off on them and they had to drill them out.

Naturally, the factory manifolds were too warped to go back on flush, so I had to get new ones

And for the cherry on top, it took 3 tries to get the right EGR tube (old one broke off in the manifold) because despite telling the parts dealers "This is the P71 4.6, not a standard Crown Vic 4.6, they're different" and the suppliers saying "Oh yeah, we know" I still got the wrong one shipped in, TWICE.

Well, it's back home now, and the CEL never came back on, so it was a manifold pressure issue setting it off, not a sensor.

9-20-2019 @ 09:15:36 PM
#9, The worst part is it didn't even come with a cherry on top. Not even a gumball!

9-20-2019 @ 10:26:04 PM
#10, I see what you did there!

Server time: Thursday, October 17, 2019 08:37:59 AM

Copyright 2000 - 2019 Ricecop. All rights reserved.