Car: 26099   By: DiRF   Comment: "F-450? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv8fAZ62R48..."
Car: 96552   By: DiRF   Comment: "Jaaaack Frost roasting on an open fire... chestnut..."
Car: 26099   By: wannabemustangjockey   Comment: "I have a friend whose dream vehicle is a new F-450..."
Car: 96552   By: wannabemustangjockey   Comment: ""Oh boy oh boy oh buddy boy! Arbor Day, Christmas ..."
Car: 96552   By: DiRF   Comment: "Happy Arbor Day [/Captain Ed Mercer]..."

Submitted by: wannabemustangjockey
Submitted on: 04-06-2012
View Stats Category: Vehicle Misc
This is the kind of 1957 Chevy Bel Air $2500 buys you these days.

Comments

4-06-2012 @ 01:28:50 AM
This is one thing I've never really understood about the classic car culture. Specific models become so overvalued that people lose sight of common sense. This '57 Pontiac is nearly the same car, but note how much more you get for the money: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957...=item3cc4921f5e

Even different body styles of the same model can have huge price differences, even if one isn't much rarer, e.g., for some reason, American enthusiasts have a hard-on for 2-door cars, and thumb their noses at 4-doors. If you spend $40,000 for a clean Bel-Air 2 door instead of $18,000 for a 4-door in the exact same condition, you're a frigging sucker.

[Edited by Skid on 4-06-2012 @ 01:30:51 AM]

4-06-2012 @ 01:32:15 AM
Agreed. It occurs in the European car community too. An Austin Healey Sprite is "worth" more than an MG Midget. Same fucking car. Same holds true for an Saabs and Fiats as well. The Saab 9000, for some reason, is worth more than the Fiat Croma and Lancia Thema. Yet, the Alfa 164 (I know it's not the exact same obviously) is considered much more valuable car in the US. In Europe, they're worth about the same.

4-06-2012 @ 01:34:51 AM
#1, If I were in the market for a '57 Bel Air, I'd probably get a 4-door post sedan. I just like them.

4-06-2012 @ 01:37:56 AM
#3, I like the 4-door hardtop "sport sedans," myself.

4-06-2012 @ 05:00:28 AM
Posted By : Edaw 0 Reply | Edit | Del
There's some company out there makin' things really easy now. For, I think, 16k you can get a built 2012 all steel Bel Aire coupe. Rolling chassis for 23k? hit up a catalog for the motor and trans and you'll have a good bit of change from your $40,000.
I'd go that route. Guess 'cause I'm getting older; damn wrenching, I'm either driving it or I'm in the house.

Saw it in Hot Rod, in the middle of movinglife being a bitch right now, can't remember the details

4-06-2012 @ 06:16:48 AM
#5, If I was gonna go the "brand-new body & chassis based on a classic" route, it'd be a brand-new '67 Mustang fastback, done up to look like a GT500, blue w/white stripes, center-grille-mounted foglights, a la Gunsmith Cats... I'd forgo any actual Shelby badges, though... and I'd put a modern 300+hp V6 Mustang drivetrain in it, modern interior, modern suspension (but not a track-ready suspension, something compliant on everyday roads...) ...try to build something that looks classic on the outside, but drives and rides like a new car.

Server time: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 02:30:12 AM