Car: 96546   By: Skid   Comment: "It looks, from what I can see, like good retail sp..."
Car: 96546   By: ricerocketboy   Comment: "so fantastic its been for lease for over 2 years...."
Car: 96551   By: Low-Tech Redneck   Comment: "No, RETRO hired goons..... now open the door...."
Car: 96551   By: DiRF   Comment: "Hired goons?..."
Car: 96542   By: Skid   Comment: "That's...random......."

Submitted on: 04-22-2016
My new job includes a "general use" car for anyone in my department... I've used it for a few mail runs and a trip to the City's wastewater treatment plant so far...

KW: Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

4-22-2016 @ 08:33:52 PM
I know this gen Malibu gets a lot of flack, compared to the previous generation... I actually have no experience with the generation prior to this, so this car seems decent enough. The driver's compartment does feel a little cramped, though... and some of the materials may be "soft touch" but they look cheap as hell.

When I did an internship for this City ~5-6 years ago, their "general use" car was a decade-old base Dodge Caravan that was falling apart. This is obviously a massive step up.

The Fusion next to it isn't the City's. It's for the Sheriff's Precinct on the opposite side of the parking lot. (The City disbanded their police force in the late '70s and has been contracting with the county for local law enforcement ever since)

Our department also has access to another City vehicle, a base Jeep Patriot... it's meant for another department, but we have a spare set of keys for it. I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to drive it.

4-22-2016 @ 09:42:37 PM
#1, How tall are you? I'm short, and I found the drivers' area a bit too cramped, even for me. My biggest ergonomic complaint was rearward visibility. Biggest actual complaint? The car isn't better than the model it replaced.

4-22-2016 @ 09:48:20 PM
Oh God, yeah, the rearward visibility... I swear that tiny rear window is warped, as well.

I'm 6' even, but with a long torso. Headroom is fine... but I don't like being "cocooned"... the Mazda2 has a surprisingly airy passenger compartment.

4-22-2016 @ 09:52:58 PM
#3, My problem with this, and the last-generation Grand Prix is the fact that car gets taller as you move back. If it had a sloped trunk, it would be fine. Or at least, a lower trunk.

6-22-2016 @ 06:36:32 PM
I've now taken it on two 2+ hour round trips... the driver's seat sucks, and the ergonomics are way too much on the "cocoon" side for my tastes... it has a slot in the console for a smartphone, but it's far too shallow to allow for stability; the phone does better in the cupholder. The infotainment system is alright... not the best graphics. The front airdam is too low, it scrapes on the curb whenever leaving a parking lot.

That said, I love the functionality of the cruise control and the sound deadening is fantastic.

1-19-2017 @ 05:25:47 PM
So, apparently, there's a reason why we went with the Malibu... we have an employee at City Hall who is exceedingly tall. Even with my tall torso, I have to raise the seat up to be at a comfortable height... if I get into the car after this guy drives it, it feels like I'm falling into a cavern.

Server time: Friday, November 17, 2017 08:05:54 PM